Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Lukewarm People

(Disclaimer: There is a high likelihood that by the end of this post, you will think that I am a super cheesy person. Well, I've got news for you.....I am. And I'm surprisingly ok with that. Enjoy!)

So I'm not sure if this is plagiarizing or copyright infringement, or something far worse, but I'm reading a book right now called Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Francis, if you're reading this, please don't think of this as plagiarism. I'm giving you credit where credit is due. And honestly, you should think that it's flattering that I'm posting about you and your book on my blog. That's how impactful it's been on me!

Crazy Love is an intense, in-depth look at the "crazy love" that we are supposed to have for our God. And I'll tell you, it's an eye opener! I know I'm inadequate as a human being. I accept that fact. What this book has taught me though, is that I'm not doing what I need to do in response to that. There is one particular chapter in this book that really got to me. It was a chapter entitled "Profile of the Lukewarm". The context around this chapter is summed up here: "Would you describe yourself as totally in love.....or do the words halfhearted, lukewarm, or partially committed fit better?"

And there were several concepts that the author shared as his view of these types of people. I've selected a few of his concepts and put them below. When you read them, ask yourself if you are lukewarm. I think that most of us are. And then ask yourself what you can do to build more passion, enthusiasm, and pure, undying, uninhibited devotion to God. If you aren't a Christian or aren't really sure what you believe, than apply it to your life in general. Apply it to how you live your life on a daily basis, and see what you think.

Lukewarm people attend church fairly regularly. It is what is expected of them, what they believe "Good Christians" do.

Lukewarm people give money to charity and to the church .... as long as it doesn't impinge on their standard of living.

Lukewarm people tend to choose what is popular over what is right when they are in conflict. They desire to fit in both at church and outside of the church.

Lukewarm people don't really want to be saved from their sin; they want only to be saved from the penalty of their sin.

Lukewarm people gauge their morality or "goodness" by comparing themselves to the secular world.

Lukewarm people will serve God and others, but there are limits to how far they will go or how much time, money, and energy they are willing to give.

Lukewarm people think about life on earth much more often than eternity in heaven. Daily life is mostly focused on today's to-do list, this week's schedule, and next month's vacation.

Lukewarm people do whatever is necessary to keep themselves from feeling too guilty. They want to do the bare minimum to be "good enough" without requiring too much of them.

Lukewarm people probably drink and swear less than average, but besides that, they really aren't very different from your typical unbeliever.

And possibly my favorite:

Lukewarm people do not live by faith; their lives are structured so they never have to. The don't have to trust God if something unexpected happens - they have their savings account. They don't need God to help them - they have their retirement plan in place. They don't genuinely seek out what life God would have them live - they have life figured and mapped out. They don't depend on God on a daily basis - their refrigerators are full and, for the most part, they are in good health.

Do you want to be lukewarm? I don't think so!
Do you want to be fiery hot? That's more like it!

I want the passion that I have for the things that I love to ooze out of every one of my pores. And I love love LOVE it when people around me are passionate about something. Even if it's a sports team, or an exercise class, or their dog. Or God. Passionate people make life worth living. They put my faith back in humans as caring and compassionate people. And passionate people aren't lukewarm. Go out and find your passion today!

2 comments:

  1. WOW--I need to read that book! Thanks for sharing, Lisa! You made me laugh with the note to the author. ;) The lukewarm comment that got me in the gut the most was this one:

    Lukewarm people don't really want to be saved from their sin; they want only to be saved from the penalty of their sin.

    That's so true of me! I'll have to ponder that one longer and choose to work on it in my life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can borrow it when I'm finished!

    ReplyDelete