Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sheep or Horse?

I’ve been meaning to write this blog for a while; a few weeks in fact. But I never could muster up the energy to think hard enough to do it, beyond the initial inspiration that I had to write it. I’m still not sure if I have the energy as I sit and type this. We’ll see. It may be piecemeal, or I may get on a roll and it’ll end up being ten pages long.

I think the other reason that I’ve been putting this off, is because it kind of scares me. It scares me because I know the answer to the question I’m about to ask, and I don’t like it. Because I felt inspired to write this blog, I’m facing kind of a harsh reality. I’m not perfect. God loves me anyway. But why am I not obedient to Him as I should be? Why do I fight so much and stand so strongly on my own two legs?

Would you rather be a sheep or a horse?

Umm, duh! Have you seen a sheep and a horse? Have you compared the physique, the strength, the nobility, the temperament, and the wide range of ability residing within each animal? I would soooooo rather be horse. That’s a no brainer. A horse is majestic, noble, strong, steady, energetic, compassionate, feisty, beautiful, capable, loving, strong-willed, and able to bond with its riders. How does it get any better than that? You never grow up as a little kid saying, “Mommy mommy, I want a sheep!” You grow up begging mom and dad for the horse that you can ride around your pretend pasture, and on which you can be whisked away by your knight in shining armor (at least for the ladies, of course!).

Horses for centuries have been the strong, powerful animals that are an integral part of society. They are good for hard manual labor, able to be prim and proper in equestrian events, provide human beings with the ability to be quick and agile while performing tasks around the farm, and are great companions.

Let’s contrast them with sheep. Sheep are flock animals. They don’t typically think for themselves; they follow a leader. They are reserved, calm, tend to stay with their flock, and get stressed out when separated from other flock members. In short, they are not majestic, powerful, beautiful creatures; they provide wool to keep people warm and (unfortunately for them) are served up very nicely as “lamb chops”, medium rare, with a nice accompanying side. (At which point my stomach begins to growl as if I’m starving it).

So, sheep vs, horse? Horse. 100 % all the way. If I’m a horse, I don’t (generally) get eaten and nobody really preys on me. If I’m a sheep, I’m lucky if I make it to my third birthday, get sheared several times up until that point, and generally lead a follower lifestyle.

(Insert God’s voice) "Really, Lisa? You really want to be a horse?"

Okay, now this is getting tricky. Let’s look at this from a different perspective. I’m reading a book right now called Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliott. This was my inspiration for this blog. There is a chapter in there called “Unfailing Love”. Simply put: He is our Sheperd. We are to be His sheep.

Psalm 32:8-11 (NIV)
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;

I will counsel you and watch over you.

Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.

Many are the woes of the wicked, but the LORD's unfailing love

surrounds the man who trusts in him.

Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous; sing, all you who are upright in heart!

So, You really want me to be a sheep, huh? Not a strong, powerful, majestic horse? Okay, I’ll play along. What’s in it for me? Why would I choose a sheep over a horse?

I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lay down his life for his sheep. – John 10:11 (NIV)

And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory
that will never fade away. – 1 Peter 5:4 (NIV)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me down paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort met. – Psalm 23:1-4 (NIV)

The bottom line

The Bible does not say that God is a cowboy who cares for and directs his horses in life. Cowboys must use bits and bridles (and sometimes whips!) to control their horses. The horses do not willingly go without all of this “encouragement”. Horses may be noble and majestic, powerful and strong, but I’m starting to think that being a sheep just might be the better option.

He is our Shepherd. We are His flock and He looks over us, provides for us, keeps us safe. We are lost without Him. We need a leader.

As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after
my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on
a day of clouds and darkness. – Ezekiel 34:12 (NIV)

Do you see? We are not horses. We should not want to be horses. We are not strong, powerful, majestic beings, no matter how hard we try. In this life, we are sheep. His flock. We need Him. Nothing else promises us what He promises us if we follow Him. And the sooner we realize that, the closer we walk with Him, the more we will glorify Him, the happier we will be.

So assuming that we are now choosing to happily don the woolly white, the challenge becomes actually following Him. This is not always as easy as it seems. I find myself constantly challenged to do this. When we live in a society that provides us with everything that we need, with endless opportunities, and with tangible rewards for our accomplishments, it’s easy to be led astray. But thankfully, if we truly believe that God is our Shepherd, we can rest easy that He will come after us and bring us back to Him. He cares about us that much. And we need to always seek Him and keep Him in our sight.

So would I rather be a sheep or a horse? Ummm, duh! I would soooo much rather be a sheep. His sheep. That’s a no brainer.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, and think of the pressure that is off of our shoulders when we decide to be sheep. We're then following The Great Shepherd and we don't have to rely on ourselves. There is such FREEDOM in that! Love you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete