Monday, May 3, 2010

Straight From The Heart



I’m 33 years old. I know in my description of myself on the left side of my blog, I say that I’m thirty-something, but I’m putting it out there – I’m 33 years old. Just barely 33, but 33 nevertheless. I’m single. I am reminded of that every single day. Most people around me are happily married, engaged, or dating, and are parents, aunts, uncles, and all kinds of things. I met someone the other day whose mother had six kids by the age of 33.

I am nothing more than a daughter, a sister, and a friend. And I’ll be brutally honest here, and I’ll tell you straight from the heart, it bothers me. It bothers me that my parents are not grandparents, and my sister is not an aunt. I’m not a wife, a sister-in-law, or a daughter-in-law. I want to be more than just a daughter and a sister. And I know that there are many other people (particularly women) in the same shoes at me. We thought we'd be married by now. We thought we'd be parents by now. We thought we'd have the life that we had always dreamt of as a little girl by now.

I have a lot to offer people! I’m a great honorary auntie to many of my kids’ friends. And I love them as if they were my real nieces and nephews. I love being a friend, and that‘s an honor that I wear proudly, and I’m blessed with so many special people in my life. And I love those people. They are my world.

But I wish there was someone else to share my life with as well. Someone to call first automatically when something exciting happens, or when something sad happens, or when I just want to talk to someone. Someone who I always have to do things with, not have to hope that one of my friends (most of whom are married by the way) just happens to be available and willing to do something with me.

(Side note: I LOVE my friends’ husbands, and they are just as special to me in their own way as my friends are to me).


I don’t want someone to complete me, but someone to make me even greater than the whole person that I already am. Someone that makes me a better person and joins me in my relationship with my Father.

So I think about all of this. Every. Single. Day. It weighs on my heart and on my mind. I try not to think about it, but that makes me think about it even more. Some days are “good days”, when I talk to God and tell Him that I’m okay being single for the rest of my life, because it’s starting to look like that’s His plan for me. And I just ask Him for peace about whatever His will is for me (and I’m going to need a lot of peace if someone tells me that I’m not going to be a wife or a mother).


And then there are the bad days. When I can feel my ovaries shriveling up. And I look at every single man walking on the street as a prospective husband.


And I honestly wish people would stop telling me “Lisa, you’re not old. You have plenty of time and you’ll find someone and settle down, get married, and have kids”. Really? How do they know that? Do I really have plenty of time? Is there really someone out there for me? The people who tell me that, for the most part, are already married. It’s easy for them to say that, but they really have no basis for saying it do they? But I love them for it. I love that they just want to make me feel better. I love that they are optimistic for me.

I was at Sunday School a few weeks ago and I walked into a class that I had never been to before, and knew only the two people that I was visiting with. And what was the lesson for the day? Marriage. Finding a partner for marriage. Why you shouldn’t settle for a partner. How nobody can fill a void in your life other than the Father and His son. And why we shouldn’t look for someone else to do that. WOW! I mean, it’s not like I didn’t really know any of this, but I can tell that God was working that day. He was working just for me. And He was working in me.

But I’ll tell you what I remember most vividly form that morning’s lesson. Something that I haven’t been thinking this entire time. What I think might just be the golden ticket for me and give me hope.

We will never be ready for a relationship with someone else until we have the right relationship with God.


I’ll say it again:

We will never be ready for a relationship with someone else until we have the right relationship with God.


Can I just say that a wave of relief came over me when I heard that. Why? Because I wholeheartedly believe that it’s true! And I know that I’m currently working on my relationship with God, and getting closer to where it needs to be. And this made me realize that I don’t need to even worry about meeting someone or developing a relationship with someone until I’m right with my God. I need to not think about it until He is the focus of my life, not whether or not I’m going to be single forever. And I have a feeling ,that when I’m right with my God, when I have the relationship that I need and that He wants me to have, that I won’t care if I’m single or married, or a mother or an aunt. All I will care about is that I’m right with my Father. And when I’m there, nothing else will matter and I truly believe that I’ll be a content woman, no matter where my life leads me.

Who am I to question God's timing?

So, I sit here now, feeling hope and feeling excitement about what my future holds. I will not allow myself to despair over being just a daughter, a sister, and a friend. I am proud to be all of those things. And for now, that will be good enough for me. And when the time comes, when I’m ready to meet that special person, God willing, then I will jump into it with open arms and an open heart, and it will be right.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely put, friend! You're so right--once you give EVERY part of your life over to God, He'll grant you the desires of your heart (because your desires will be the same as His). My definition of "giving it over to God" is that you come to a place where you completely trust Him with the outcome no matter what that outcome is (i.e., single or married--you're happy either way). It's a daily struggle for all of us--just in different areas of life--money, love life, kiddos, job, etc.--so hang in there!

    Love you and love that I'm walking this road with you!

    Oh--and I love your honesty. Especially the part about feeling your ovaries shriveling up on your "bad days". haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa - I am so sorry for your struggle, as its both of my sisters' struggle too. And it breaks my heart for amazing, strong, beautiful, smart and righteous women who have to wonder when (or if) they might get married. It is a terrible trial to endure, yet one that brings its own strength, power and understanding. I do believe you women get an extra special dose of closeness to our Heavenly Father, and He is so very aware of you each and every moment of the day.

    I think you are amazing, and I enjoy peeking into your blog from time to time. I can't wait to see you next month and really catch up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa - your honesty is a breath of fresh air. I'm not in my 30's yet, but will be the big 3-0 in February! I remember having a "plan" for my life. I was going to meet Mr. Right at this age, graduate from college in this year, and be pregnant by year x of marriage, which would be a this certain age. Boy was I ever so wrong! God really showed me that in big ways!! I'm so thankful, I sought after God and my relationship with Christ. It wasn't easy knowing I hadn't met anyone by that age. That age, by the way, was my "idea" of the perfect time to get married so that I wouldn't been too young of a mother but I wouldn't be an "old" mother! How crazy is that?!?! Anyway, I don't want to put on you my own experiences but I can say I've been where you are. I've felt the same feelings but in my late 20's. I recently did get engaged and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am SO glad I'm not that younger age I thought was the "perfect" age for all of this to happen. Honestly, I didn't even expect it to happen now.

    You know what...you're feelings are perfectly normal and OK! I had to come to that realization. I also like the reminder in Lauren's comment that it extends to so many other areas of our life, like money, job, etc. I needed that reminder, so thank you Lauren and Lisa!

    I hope you have a fabulous Friday and weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you, Lizard. You are an amazing, godly woman and friend. Your honesty and faithfulness to truth and realism is one thing that makes you truly amazing. I miss you! Know that you are in my daily conversations with our Father, and I am so proud to call you my friend! Thank you for sharing your triumphs, musings, and struggles on here!

    ReplyDelete