Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Upgraded

So, you may think that I’m a bit of snob after reading this blog, but heck, I’m just being honest :-) And who doesn’t enjoy a little First Class Treatment.



Between Christmas and the New Year, I went on a trip over to Scotland to visit some dear friends that I had met while living in Australia. I try to see them as often as I can, but it never seems to be often enough. I miss those girls! Anyway, I used my frequent flier miles for my ticket (since this was the only way that I could justify going on a quasi-last minute trip), and decided that I would sacrifice the extra miles for the upgrade to First Class on the way over there. This is where my snobby factor comes in – I LOVE FIRST CLASS!!! Especially on an international flight where you really do get pampered and the length of the flight makes it totally worthwhile.

On the flight, I was sitting next to a young lady whose father is a pilot for the airline, and who gets to fly all over the world for free (albeit standby) and often gets upgraded to First Class. As we were chatting away, she was saying how most of her friends have never flown First Class and don’t understand just how different it is from coach. People, believe me, it’s different.

But then it got me thinking: when I’m NOT sitting in First Class, I always think that the people who ARE sitting in First Class are snobby. I think they are too good for their britches, act like they are elite, and have paid extortionate amounts of money to get there. When in reality, they are the same person whether they are sitting in First Class or coach; they only act elite because the flight attendants treat them that way. Besides, most of them probably used airline miles like me, or were automatically upgraded based on their status with the airline.

So does that make them better people than the rest of us? Does the fact that I get to fully recline in my chair, get a five-course meal that lasts 3 hours, and receive the cutest little travel kit with toiletries and an eye mask (neither of which I use, honestly) really make be more superior to anyone else in the back of the plane? Does the fact that I get to choose my meal from a menu and eat on china rather than from a plastic container or bag mean that I deserve it any more than the woman sitting on the other side of the curtain?

Then I started thinking: do I act like an “upgraded” person sometimes as a Christian? I would like to think that I get special treatment from my God that non-Christians have chosen to not have access to. But am I a snobby Christian? I don’t want to be one of those Christians who is too good for my britches, acts like I’m elite, or pays extortionate amounts of money to be one. But being a Christian: People, believe me, it’s different.

Then it hit me: the glory of being a believer is that I realize that I will never be good enough on my own to enter the kingdom of heaven (therefore, I’m not too good for my britches), I try to be humble and meek before my God and realize that He is sovereign above all (and therefore I don’t act elite), and I know that Jesus has already paid the ultimate price for me (and therefore the extortionate price has already been paid). But, I still get the benefits! How fantastic is that? I get to live in First Class all the time!

I get someone to help me carry my burdens. I get the grace of God.

I get someone who promises that He will always be there, through good times and bad, all I have to do is ask and welcome Him in.

I get someone who has such a perfect love for me that it’s almost unbelievable.

I get someone who has the perfect plan for my life.

I get someone who knows that I’m going to screw up in my life, and loves me in spite of that.

And I get someone who sacrificed His Son so that I can have all of that.

I feel like being a Christian gives me First Class Treatment. How does it compare to a five-course meal, served on the airlines finest china, with a reclining seat and that quaint little toiletry bag? That airline as NOTHING on my God :-) I’ve been upgraded for life!

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sister! Love you lots and can't wait to see what 2010 has in store for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have said it better, Lisa! Totally true and sometimes I think we forget. Hope you are having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete